Death is the new backtracking! The upcoming RogueVania game Dead Cells from the developers at Motion Twin will be available via Steam Early Access on May 10, 2017.
RogueVania: The threat of permadeath, balanced with a generous system of progression, the exhilaration of discovering new hidden areas, alternate paths to progress through the castle and a pinch of procedural generation to keep you on your toes.
Our main character is a green mass of sentient cells stranded on an ever changing island. The player must take over a discarded corpse and explore the prison, where survival is a precarious and ephemeral state. Death, however, is only the beginning in this alchemy afflicted world… just one more opportunity to unlock new powers, discover outlandish areas and plunder hidden secrets.
“We’re a cooperative with no boss that’s been making F2P games for 15 years. It got to the point where we had to ask ourselves why we were doing it. After that there was no choice but to make something for us,” said Motion Twin’s lead designer Sébastien Benard. “We’re taking two genres we all love, adding our little twist and aiming for the best rogue-lite/metroidvania you’ve ever played. So far the feedback has been really positive, so we’re really really excited to see people playing!”
– Dead Cells Features –
- Souls-like combat: Gameplay changing weapons, invincibility frames when rolling, pattern based bosses and monsters and of course, punishing difficulty.
- Exploration: Unlock new levels, secrets and abilities as you learn the world.
- Progression: Permanent upgrades will allow you to go a little further with every run.
- Depth: More than 10 levels, 50 weapons, spells and traps, plus tons of replayability.
- More to come: This is about 30-40% of the content expected in the final version.
Dead Cells is launching via Steam Early Access on May 10th 2017. You can check it out on Steam through this link.